Monday, December 5, 2011

spirit of thanksgiving

Despite the lovely holiday that it was, I have to admit I was feeling pretty homesick on Thanksgiving. The most homesick I have felt in a long, long time. It was the only time I had not been home for Thanksgiving (besides the time I was in London--when I was going to tea in Kensington Gardens, singing "God Bless the USA" with my london gals, seeing Lion King the Musical in the West End, and having so much fun that it should've been illegal). Needless to say, I was missing my fam, the warm weather, all the nieces and nephews, the traditions, and the memories I felt I was missing out on.

Jacob could sense my odd mix of nostalgia and gloom as I laid and told him all the things I would be doing if I were in Mesa for Thanksgiving. Not long after, he told me he had something that would cheer me up and disappeared to fetch it. I didn't believe him; however, he returned with my macbook to show me this:


On Thanksgiving night, they turn on the Christmas lights at the Mesa Temple, and my family often goes to see them. As we watched this silly little video of the lights, temple, and cheesey christmas music, I could feel my gloom begin to fade. It warmed my heart to revisit the memories via youtube, but even more that Jacob had been so sweet and thoughtful. Then the spirit of Thanksgiving slapped me in the face. . .

I am so thankful for my husband, for our "little family," and the memories we are making together.

No comments: