Thursday, February 24, 2011

Who cries during Dumbo?


Apparently, I cry during Dumbo.

Jacob wanted to watch it the other night because he missed out on a lot of those old classic Disney movies when he was a kid. His roommate had Dumbo on VHS, and so we slipped it into the VCR for 64 minutes of heartbreak and tragedy. When is the last time you saw this movie? Until the very end, when Dumbo discovers he can fly after waking up in a tree (after accidentally becoming intoxicated), it is totally depressing. Poor Dumbo. They laugh at him, they call him a freak, they tear him away from his mother, and make him a clown. It's heart-wrenching.

During the scene where the little elephant is reunited with his mother, I lost it. Tears started to well up. I kept telling myself to be strong so Jacob wouldn't think I was completely ridiculous. But just as one tear escaped, Jacob leaned over and kissed me on the cheek-- right in its path.

"Oh Holli! You're crying!!!"

Then I really lost it. I had been discovered-- there was no recovery from this. Tears streamed down my face as I confessed my embarrassment and hid my face under the blanket. Jacob could not stop laughing.

The sad thing is, if I were to watch some typical tear-jerker like, I dunno, Titanic or the The Notebook, I probably would not even blink an eye. But put on a Disney movie about an outcast, orphan elephant, and it tears me apart. After this experience I feel like I may be more tender than I thought I was, but maybe I just have a sensitivity to sad animal movies. Or maybe there's just something wrong with me.

3 comments:

Jordyn said...

No way you are normal. That movie is HORRENDOUSLY SAD, and to this day, I refuse to watch it.

live and myrn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jane said...

haha!!!! holli! this is the best. I am the same way in Fox and the Hound. Weeper.
Dumbo, I haven't seen that in so long.
so glad you shared this.