Wednesday, October 26, 2011

high-five a tiger pumpkin

Last night, Jacob and I had our own little pumpkin carving party, and I have to say that we really out-did last year's pumpkins. Pumpkin carving is a delicate art, and this is definitely the most advanced I have ever gone.


Jacob made a Darth Vader pumpkin to keep our Star Wars theme going from last year.


And I made a beautiful tiger! I like to think that he is "Shere Khan" from Jungle Book. I got my stencil from WWF's wildlife pumpkin patterns. Check it out here. That tiger stencil isn't for babies. but I love the way it turned out.


While carving, we watched this 1931 classic horror flick. Supposedly, this is the only horror film to ever win "best picture." It didn't disappoint either. We also baked our pumpkin seeds to munch on-- but i think we baked them a little too long. They were. . . okay. FAIL.

Shere Khan and Darth Vader

I think these two make a good duo.

At the moment it seems like our lives are constantly flooded with school, work, commuting, tests, projects, to-do lists, and doing it all over again the next day-- Man, things are so BUSY lately! When is there time for ANYTHING?! That said, it was nice to take a night to get into the Halloween spirit, even at the cost of our precious early bedtime (usually 10:00 to 10:30. yeah, we are grandmas). That tiger seriously took me 2 HOURS to carve. Still, the satisfaction I felt seeing that fierce, stripéd, pumpkin-creature staring back at me was so worth it.

3 comments:

Chase & Tricia said...

Okay, I never seem to look at blogs anymore....but, can I say that I love yours! Always great posts. Also, I think I will watch Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde...Chase and I might be able to watch an old time horror film....maybe.

leean robinson said...

I didn't realize you both had pumpkin carving as hidden talents. I guess I didn't see last years finished products. Great job. And I loved your costumes you wore to Megan's party.

Megan said...

nice!