Monday, October 17, 2011

pumpkin cookies



On saturday I had a potluck/get-together with my london girls. Unfortunately, (after attending the annual lost-n-found sale--aka BYU's "Black Friday") I had no time to actually make anything to bring. Luckily, Jacob agreed to make these cookies for me while I showered and got ready. He's such a good little housewife!

Anyway, this is my favorite recipe for pumpkin cookies. Kind of a twist on the typical chocolate chip ones you get every year. Also, this recipe supposedly belongs to my friend's German grandma, so that's authentic, right?


glazed pumpkin cookies


2 cups flour                                        ½ cup butter, softened
2 tsp. baking powder                           1 cup sugar
½ tsp. salt                                          2 eggs
2 tsp. cinnamon                                  1 cup pumpkin
½ tsp. nutmeg                                    1 cup golden raisins
¼ tsp. ginger

lemon glaze

1 ¾ cups powdered sugar
1 T. grated lemon peel
1 T. lemon juice

directions

1.      Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.      With a whisk, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and spices.
3.      In large bowl, with electric mixer at medium speed, beat butter, sugar and eggs until fluffy.
4.      At low speed, beat in pumpkin. Then stir in the flour mixture and beat with the mixer just until combined.
5.      Stir in the raisins.
6.      Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheets.
7.      Bake 12 to 15 minutes until golden. Do not overbake. Remove from oven and place on paper towels. Glaze while still warm.


I have a peculiar memory with these cookies. When Jacob and I had just started dating last year, a friend gave us one cookie to share--hardly enough to satisfy. The cookie was SO tasty, but we politely took turns taking one bite at a time. Finally, as the cookie began to get smaller, Jacob took one colossal-sized bite to finish it off. I watched in horror, thinking 'that could've been like THREE more bites!' I couldn't believe he just shoved the whole thing in his mouth right before my eyes! It was seriously like a stubborn three year-old being  introduced to the concept of sharing for the first time. After being single for so long, I realized that I never had to share much with anyone else. I had my own schedule. I made my own plans. for the most part, I did what I wanted when I felt like it. AND i certainly ate my own cookies.

It sounds so silly now, but in moment, as I resentfully watched Jacob wolf down my precious cookie-- I was enlightened. 'So this is dating. . . you have to, like, share your cookies and stuff.' I looked at my dreamy boyfriend again and decided, 'Well, i guess he's worth it.'

A lot has changed since then. We are really good at sharing now, and not just cookies either. We share EVERYTHING--our time, energy, abilities, and devotion (as you can see so perfectly from the picture above).

No comments: