Tuesday, March 27, 2012

prophet crush

If you didn't know, I just started a new job at the Church History Library in SLC. I have only been here a little over a week, but I have already discovered the library's greatest treasureits senior missionaries. 

While on a tour of the preservation lab, I was accompanied by some of these energetic senior sister missionaries. We were shown some very old video footage in the archives (circa 1920, I think?). It was a silent film that featured early celebrities of LDS history, such as Joseph F. Smith, Heber J. Grant, J. Golden Kimball, James E. Talmage, John A. Widtsoe, and the handsome Mormon heartthrob, a very young David O. McKay.

David O. McKay, Mormon history heartthrob

Instantly one of the sisters cried out, "OH! Isn't he HANDSOME?!? He looks like a MOVIE STAR!!"

They were all swooning like teenage girls. 

I couldn't help but think of the time when my grandma wouldn't stop gushing over all the pictures of Elvis at the Hard Rock Cafe while everyone in the restaurant was watching us. "Oh Holli! Look at him! Isn't he a DREAMBOAT?!"  Or the time my friend amy put Elder Dieter F. Utchdorf on her list of "Hot Old Guys" under Robert Redford, Mitt Romney, and Harrison Fordthough Elvis is probably a more appropriate crush than an apostle...right?

1 comment:

Jordyn said...

Haha! This is hilarious. And I don't want to be creepy, but D.O.M. is way better looking than most men from that era. Kudos, President!